Deciding you want to get healthy is easy. Getting started, that’s the hard part! With the onslaught of information we are bombarded with daily about health, diets, obesity, etc. It’s just plain confusing as to whom should we really be listening to. One day coffee is good for us, the next day it’s bad. What is fact, and what is fiction? Well, today I’m going to make it easier for you. I’m going to give you plain simple advice. I’m not a doctor so I’m not promising you a quick fix cure to any ailment. I’m more like a coach, someone who will inspire, motivate, and at times convict you. But more than anything, I’m a friend. A friend who wants to pass on valuable information that might help you live a more vibrant and meaningful life.
Before I get started I want you to think about what your personal health goals are. Think about them, take all the time you need. Then write them down. Weight loss can be included, but remember your health goes much deeper than the number showing up on your scale. My personal health goals are to experience life full of energy without disease, beautiful radiant skin, and to look incredible in every outfit I try on! This is the gift I want for myself, my children, and you! Now I just gave you a tagline of my goals. They go much deeper. For example, instead of leaving this earth from some horrible disease I would like to pass away quietly from natural causes in my sleep, after a long productive life. You can be as detailed as you need to be. Once you’ve established your goals, you’re ready to start your journey to health!
To make this simple, I’m going to give you five basic steps to get you started on your goals. But before we begin, there is one principle we must discuss first. This principle is key to your success. Here it is: we eat so that our bodies will live and not die! I know its simple, irritatingly so. But we don’t eat to feel good, or to reward ourselves, or to even punish ourselves. At least we’re not supposed to. If we continue to be slaves to our taste buds filling our bodies with food that a lot of times isn’t even food, then our bodies will break down, and this is the path of disease. For some it will be sooner than later.
We eat so that our bodies will live and not die!
Here are the 5 steps to lead you to your new healthy life:
- Absolutely no more diets! I mean it! This is it! From now on you are going to learn how to eat like a sensible human being. You’re going to eat all foods that God made (he did not make dorito’s, twinkies, or non-dairy coffee creamer). Ouch! I know that last one hurt. You will not starve, count calories, or binge eat. You will not inject yourself with hormones, or avoid whole food groups. This is the beginning of normal. And just to be honest, this is probably the most challenging step for me personally. When I’ve lost control, and found myself not fitting into my work pants, I want to do something really quick to get it off.
- It’s time to deal with your bad habits. Are you a late night snacker, or are your portion sizes twice what they should be? Maybe you don’t like vegetables or fruit and pretty much ignore them. Perhaps you’re lazy, and get most of your meals out of a box or the drive thru. Whatever the case, you need a strategy to overcome. I happen to love raw fruits and vegetables, but I love sugar just as much. My food nemesis is ice cream. I will eat healthy all day but intersperse all sorts of sweet delectables throughout, and then top it off with my favorite vanilla ice cream right before bed. This is healthy diet suicide!
- Move baby move. Our bodies were created to move! Most of us know that exercise aids in weight loss. It also wards off disease by strengthening our hearts which lowers our risk of heart disease and stroke, lowers blood pressure, and lowers bad cholesterol while raising good cholesterol levels. However, I would like to focus on another fact: that when we exercise, our bodies take in more oxygen than we normally get from our shallow breathing. This oxygen is necessary for every function in our bodies. Here’s some amazing facts about oxygen:
- 90% of our energy comes from oxygen, 10% from food and water.
- Detoxes cells by displacing deadly free radicals, neutralizes environmental toxins, destroys bacteria, parasites, and viruses.
- Greatly enhances the body’s absorbtion of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, proteins and other important nutrients.
- Oxygen heightens your concentration and alertness, and reduces mental fatigue.
- Drink more water. A healthy amount of water to drink is half your body weight. Pure water is also another source of oxygen. And like oxygen it detoxifies the body, transports nutrients into cells, and helps weight loss by aiding your liver in metabolizing stored fat. Water also protects and moisturizes the joints. Your brain consists of 90% water and won’t function well without it, this is why you get a headache or migraine when you don’t drink enough. And if this doesn’t compel you to think twice about picking up yet another caffeinated drink that only dehydrates you more. Consider this, water keeps the colon moving and free of harmful toxic buildup!
- Add raw fruits and vegetables to your diet. Many people are deficient in vitamins, minerals, enzymes and fiber, all of which you can get from eating raw fruits and vegetables. They are 90% water, nutrient dense and full of antioxidants, they have few calories, increase your immune system, and ward off cancer and other diseases! IF you want to be healthy, you must increase the produce side of your diet and decrease the animal protein that is proven to be linked to heart disease and other health risks. An easy way to eat more fruits and vegetables is to add a serving of both to all meals including snacks. I do this by drinking raw vegetable and fruit juices. The juice has tons of nutrients, and because it’s already broken down it’s readily absorbed into the blood stream.When I’m feeling too lazy to do it myself I get it from Whole Foods.
These 5 steps will radically change your health. Will you commit to them? Remember this is a process, a journey. And I’m on it with you. When you’ve mastered these, you’ll be ready for more radical steps. So here goes….